When Mulholland Drive first opened, David Lynch published a list of 10 clues which he felt would make it easier to understand the film.
HERE IS LYNCH’S LIST:
1) Pay particular close attention in the beginning of the film: at least two clues are revealed before the credits.
2) Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
3) Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
4) An accident is a terrible event . . . notice the location of the accident.
5) Who gives a key, and why?
6) Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
7) What is felt, realized and gathered at the Club Silencio?
8) Did talent alone help Camilla?
9) Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkies.
10) Where is Aunt Ruth?
MY OWN THEORY:
In addition, I have developed my own theory – inspired by Lynch’s 10 clues – as to how one can make this film click into place almost instantly.
My theory is based on the fact that I believe there is actually ONE primary key to unlocking Mulholland Dr.
In my audio course THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE DARKNESS: The Films of David Lynch you can hear me go through that theory while applying my primary key to Mulholland Dr. one step at a time.